If you’re fed up of spending money on manicures at the salon, try a cheaper alternative and do it yourself at home. Follow these simple tips for beautiful hands and nails while giving them a moisturising treat.
1. First of all remove any old nail polish so you have a clean slate to work with. If you’ve been wearing super sparkly polish or have been trying out some extravagant nail art, use a remover containing acetone that will easily remove it. For single colours, or if you’re wearing fake nails use a non-acetone remover.
2. Trim and file your nails into your desired shape, either rounded or square tips. Neither is less prone to chipping so it’s really down to your personal choice.
3. To soften your cuticles, soak your hands in a bowl of warm water for five minutes with a few drops of your favourite bath products. Rub in a small amount of cuticle cream or lotion and use an orange wood stick to push back cuticles. Don’t be tempted to cut cuticles as it can cause infections and damage the name.
4. Give your hands the full treatment by using a hand moisturiser such as Creative Nail Design Solar Silk for beautifully silky skin. Wipe your nails free of any excess oil or product and you’re ready to paint!
5. Remember to apply a base coat. Not only will doing this create a smooth, even surface for you to paint on, it can also help to protect your nails and prevent unsightly staining from coloured polishes.
6. If you’re sticking to a single colour, apply the polish in three strokes, one from base to tip in the centre of the nail and one stroke up each side. See below for some of the on-trend nail colours for Spring 2012.
7. When you’re happy with your nails and the polish is dry, apply a top coat. This will help to prevent chips and make them stay looking perfect for longer. Don’t rush and make sure the top coat is completely dry before getting on with your day. Any smudges on the top coat will ruin all your good work and you’ll need to start on that nail again.
Top colour trends for Spring 2012
- Light and creamy pistachio green
Essie – Navigate Her, available soon
Stargazer Chrome Metallic
- Colourful coral
Max Factor Max Effect – Diva Coral
- Glamour glitter
OPI Rainbow Connection Nail Lacquer